This job is no longer accepting applications.
What’s the role
This role covers two main responsibilities linked to this type of trading. The first is being the primary commercial focal point for the trading desks in the development of trading strategies to support their execution. This will mean working closely with the desks to understand their requirements and working with the project team to build those strategies within the platform. This will require a deep understanding of algorithmic approaches to execution, possibly from other asset classes, that can be applied to Energy where they can be a differentiator. Success is assessed amongst other ways through volume of execution through the platform on those strategies.
The second responsibility is to work with the Systematic Trading team in the building of intraday strategies designed to leverage the automated execution capability of the platform, in order to produce new revenue streams. Amongst other areas this should consider market micro structure and the cross commodity arbitrage opportunities.
What we need from you
We’re keen to speak from commercially focused individuals with extensive direct experience in building algorithmic strategies to optimize execution in liquid and illiquid markets utilizing a variety of coding languages including Python. You must also have extensive experience in software engineering/applied machine learning in a trading environment. Academic background in relevant technical areas (Masters level in Computer Science, Maths, Physics etc) is essential.
We also hope your CV will show as many of the following as possible:
- Experience of automated market making in traded markets
- Evidence of working in a team to build a portfolio of algorithmic strategies
- Direct experience of building a testing framework for algorithmic execution, including performing testing schedule for trading strategies
- Ability to extract, manipulate and analyse large datasets relevant to algorithimic execution
- Experience of building forward curves in commodities markets using incomplete data
- Experience of working in European Energy markets
A versatile and pragmatic individual who is adaptable to change, brings ideas to the table and excited by new technology. You are an effective communicator – someone who is comfortable talking with the traders and shares understanding and experience within a team. You can work in a flexible independent manner on a mixture of small unstructured and large unstructured items. You must have an up-to-date knowledge of recent trading algorithmic developments.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Your application has been successfully submitted.